According to a survey from Wyzowl, people are watching an average of 2.5 hours of online video per day. Trends in user behavior indicate that digital video will only grow in popularity. In the last few years, social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram have invested more in video content, introducing new formats like IGTV and Reels. Meanwhile, video-first platforms like YouTube and TikTok continue to draw massive viewership.
Video Ad Specs for Facebook & Instagram
- File Type: MP4, MOV or GIF
- Ratio: 1:1 (for desktop or mobile) or 4:5 (for mobile only)
- Video Settings: H.264 compression, square pixels, fixed frame rate, progressive scan and stereo AAC audio compression at 128kbps+
- Resolution: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Video Captions: Optional, but recommended
- Video Sound: Optional, but recommended
- Video Duration: 1 second to 241 minutes
- Maximum File Size: 4GB
- Minimum Width: 120 pixels
- Minimum Height: 120 pixels
- Design for sound-off! Keep in mind not all viewers will have their volume on when watching your content. So include on-screen text and captions whenever possible to make your video engaging with or without sound.
- Keep it short to capture attention quickly! We recommend keeping your video ads to 15 seconds or less.
- Create videos in different sizes and formats to fit all ad placements. For example, the 1:1 ratio fits most Facebook and Instagram ad placements on both desktop and mobile. But resizing your video to the mobile-friendly 9:16 for Instagram & Facebook stories will fill the viewer’s entire screen.
Tell Your Brand’s Story with Video
- Brand Awareness. Video is an ideal format for storytelling as it allows us to share information both audibly and visually. When building brand awareness, use video ads to tell the story of your brand. Showcase what makes your products or services unique. We call this a “Why Buy” message.
- Consideration. Capture the attention of your audience with video ads that are both educational and entertaining. Whether you’re selling a product or a service, showcase your brand in action with How-To videos, tutorials and demonstrations, and customer testimonials.
- Conversion. Deliver a single message to drive a specific action. Your video ads should focus on a clear call-to-action such as visiting your website, filling out a form, contacting your business or purchasing a product.